Thursday, February 14, 2008

Kyiv building declares love for inhabitants


The writing is on the wall!
In the inner suburbs of Kyiv today, a 9 storey block of flats adorned itself with letters cut out of peach wallpaper declaring "I love you" to it's inhabitants.
Whilst Valentines day is not a traditional Ukrainian celebration, the building (who wished to keep its street name and number a secret) stated "I have been thinking about doing something like this for ages. The occasion came up, and, well, it just seemed right"
To enhance the feeling of romance the building arranged for the part of the city around it to be transformed for the day into a giant snow dome.
Says one resident "It is nice to have snow around, it makes it feel like proper winter"

The big question or course, is whether this love is reciprocated. According the inhabitants we spoke to, the answer is a resounding "Yes".
"In my last flat the electricity used to go out about once a month. This building is much more reliable. Love it? Well, yeah, I guess you could call it love"
A group of smokers gathered in the foyer say they often come here to meet, some of them not even living in this block. "it's warmer than outside, and my mum would kill me if she saw me smoking" explains one teen.

With both rental and property sales prices sky-rocketing, it is likely most of the residents will stay for the long term, rather than move to new housing complexes. "I looked at some real dumps before I moved here, stairwells full of rubbish, parquetry coming off" says one resident "And you can almost see average rent prices rising month by month. If you find a flat, you stick with it, there is no point in moving"

The building sees stability as one of it's major draw cards "With me it's all up front- what you see is what you get. People don't want uncertainty in a building, they want comfort, security and a place where they can be themselves. I feel blessed to be a part of this."

1 comment:

maire said...

i tip my hat to that building! it's both a multi-family dwelling and a gentleman.